Sponsor - Mrs. Janet Schmitz
First Baptist Christian Academy's student council represents the Junior High and High School. Members are elected by the student body at the beginning of every year and serve for the school year. FBCA's Student Council has accomplished many things during the past school year. Some of its activities are as follows:
• Host a pizza party for the new students
• Help direct parents to the proper classrooms at the Parent Orientation
• Help at Pre-K Fun Days
• Collect gifts for needy families for Christmas
• Help direct parents to the proper classrooms during Open House
• Help plan and run activities of FBCA week
• Help plan Homecoming
• Serve at annual Auction/Banquet
• Bring cards to and speak with the elderly at a local nursing home for Easter
• Help plan the Secondary Awards Banquet
2017-18 STUDENT COUNCIL MEMBERS
President - Christopher Sharon
Vice President - Walker Draeger
Secretary - Finn McBride
12th grade – Brian Cruz & Savannah Lively
11th grade – Karli Schuetzle, Sela Stokes & Kyleigh Wingo
10th grade – Alexa Spain & Justin Ybarra
9th grade – Cole Bice & Wes Moore
8th grade – Abigail Everett
7th grade – Kane King & Maddie McComb
NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY
Sponsor: Mrs. Richard
The National Honor Society is offered to academically eligible students in grades 10-12. A 4.0 cumulative GPA is a prerequisite. The National Honor Society Faculty Committee reviews applications of students who successfully complete and submit the application. Students who have demonstrated excellence in character, leadership, scholarship, and service will be invited to be inducted at the annual spring induction ceremony. The National Honor Society does service projects to meet needs in the community.
"Aware of the honor which is being bestowed upon me, by my selection to membership in the National Honor Society, I do hereby pledge my loyalty to this organization. It shall be my earnest purpose to give unsparingly of my time and energy toward the promotion of all school activities. I will strive to be at all times a model student, and will never knowingly bring reproach upon my school. I pledge myself to uphold the high purpose of this Society to which I have been elected, striving in every way by word and deed, to make its ideals the ideals of my school and my life."
STUDENT LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE (SLI)
Sponsors: Mrs. Angie Brod, Ms. Lisa Roskin, Mrs. Jessica Shuman
"Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave - just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many".
This program is built on four major components, all of which relate to the program's purpose and goals.
1. Leadership Courses - Leadership Courses will provide the "theory" and skills training necessary for a strong Biblically based, philosophical foundation. Students will have a variety of seminars to select from as well as a planned training scope and sequence on special issues. The ultimate goal is for students to develop a Biblically based worldview; not succumbing to being politically correct.
2. Leadership Opportunities - These opportunities will bring the Institute out of the classroom lecture phase and into a real hands-on application. Opportunities to serve include off-campus service projects,; mission trips; Ambassador Programs; Bible studies; sixth grade mentoring; chapel program and many other school related activities. Again, this component emphasizes the leadership quality of being "other-centered." Investing one's life into the lives of others and building strong relationships is certainly the Biblical principal that we want internalized.
3. Leadership Skill Development - Specific skills training is deliberately integrated into every aspect of SLI. Emphasis is placed on the following characteristics of the Biblical leadership model. ◦A lifestyle of serving others
Student Leadership Institute teaches that a Kingdom student leader will be driven by three core Biblical-leadership principals. All three principals must be advanced in order to develop a balanced Kingdom student leader.
Student Leadership Institute’s mission is to assist young people in the development of their leadership philosophy and skills by exposing them to a Biblically-based, practical, multifaceted, year-long program.
Students are trained in the Biblical model and definition of leadership with a core emphasis on three operating principles: service, evangelism/engaging the culture and church involvement. This model, founded from God’s Word, focuses on individual and institutional commitments to becoming selfless and others-centered. It is SLi’s goal that students connect these principles to their campus, community and church. Students will be challenged to become more like Christ as they seek a higher level of leadership training.
Student Leadership Institute is designed to equip students with the knowledge and skills to become Christian leaders in their schools and in the marketplace. Courses are taught in both large and small groups on a wide range of topics. Teachers, administrators and pastors share teaching responsibilities with outside speakers. Admission to the Student Leadership Institute is by a student submitting an application, and then the application will be reviewed thoroughly by the FBCA SLI sponsors.